Newton Abbot is a small market town in South Devon with a population of around 25,000. It has a racecourse and three country parks; Decoy, Stover and Bradley.
There has been a thriving market in Newton Abbot for over 750 years. The market opens twice weekly. Newton Abbot has a tripartite twinning link the towns of Besigheim (Germany) and Ay-Champagne (France).
St. Leonard’s Tower
In the centre of Newton Abbot is the ancient tower of Saint Leonard. The tower is all that remains of the medieval chapel of St. Leonard, founded in 1220. Adjacent to the tower is a plaque; marking the spot where the first declaration of the newly arrived William III, Prince of Orange was read in 1688.
At the opposite end of Newton Abbot is the National Trust property of Bradley. This is a 15th century (circa 1420) manor house in its own secluded woodland setting and has a notable great hall.
South Devon Railway
The South Devon railway reached Newton Abbot in 1846 and changed the town to become a base for industry. Isambard Kingdom Brunel used the Teignmouth / Newton Abbot section to experiment with his atmospheric railway. Unfortunately, the experiment failed but the remains of the buildings still survive.